“I believe in business, opportunities present themselves and it’s your job…to recognise those…and see where it goes.”
“If you don’t drive your business, you will be driven out of business.”
— B.C. Forbes,
“Some of you have minds that move very fast. Hurrah. BUT: Typically, you are shit communicators. WORK ON IT.”
“The business world reaches out for and rewards leaders who can relegate and delegate.”
Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.
There are times when you run a marathon and you wonder, Why am I doing this? But you take a drink of water, and around the next bend, you get your wind back, remember the finish line, and keep going.
- Remembering Steve Jobs (digitalsurgeons.com)
- P.E.I. marathon committee bars 10-year-old runner from competing in race (news.nationalpost.com)
- Steve Jobs Steps Down, My Apple Inc. (AAPL) Market Forecast (optionsanimal.com)
- Why Innovative People Fail (forbes.com)
- Why we hate to like Steve Jobs and like to hate Mark Zuckerberg (digitalsurgeons.com)
- Time, Money, Work, Family, Steve Jobs, and Death (phanimahesh.wordpress.com)
- How did a clown end up with Steve Jobs iPad? [Literally] (bazaardaily.com)
- Tips for Your First Marathon (wiserunning.com)
- Thousands cross the line at Edmonton marathon (metronews.ca)
1. Trying to lead before establishing credibility.
People will only follow you if they believe that you know what you’re doing. Credibility doesn’t come from a job title or your position on the latest organization chart. Neither can it be “willed” into existence simply because you wish it were there.
Fix: Credibility, like trust, can only be earned over time. If you’ve got a track record of success, you’ll need to communicate clearly why that success is still relevant. If you’re new to the job, you’ll have to grow that credibility from scratch. Good luck!
2. Trying to lead before there’s a relationship.
Even if you’ve got a truckload of credibility, people won’t follow your lead if they don’t feel a personal connection. If you’re the manager, they may obey direct orders so as to keep their jobs, but they won’t go the proverbial “extra mile” that true leadership inspires.
Fix: The only way to build relationships is to truly care about them as individuals and frequently showing honest curiosity about them, their ideas and the work that they’re doing. This takes time, effort, and one-on-one attention.
Continue reading on Inc.com…
- 5 Reasons Leadership Falls Flat(inc.com)
- Kathy Kurnyta: On Leadership Presence(vantageleadership.wordpress.com)
- The Conviction to Lead.(myfullcup.wordpress.com)
My ideas usually come not at my desk writing but in the midst of living
- Anais Nin on Love (kipsthoughts.wordpress.com)
- Writing Motivation: Anais Nin, thank you! (prspates.wordpress.com)
- Nin 01 (notesfromanomadicmind.wordpress.com)
- Those are European ideas in Anaïs Nin’s Little Birds (jseliger.com)
“Life is what happens to you when you’re making other plans.”––Betty Talmadge
Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage. –Ray Bradbury, writer (1920-2012).
“No matter how significant or life-changing your greatest hit or miss might be, neither even begins to define who you are. Each of us is a product of all our experiences and all our interactions with other people. To cite calculus, we are the area under the curve.”
― Colin Powell, It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership
- Preparing for Calculus (mathedconcepts.wordpress.com)
- AP Calculus Review (iphonelife.com)
- The Land of Calculus… written during my youth (mathedconcepts.wordpress.com)
- Stochastic Calculus (slideshare.net)
- Learning Calculus and Quantum Physics Through Comics (spottybanana.net)
“The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.”
“So many plusses, so many minuses. ”
“Procrastination is opportunity’s assassin. ”
- How Not To Procrastinate (alltopstartups.com)
- You Choose Your Destiny (thisgypsyheart.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Procrastination (councilblogs.wordpress.com)
- Stop Procrastinating Now. Here’s How (inc.com)
- Overcoming Procrastination (thepersistentassistant.wordpress.com)
- Procrastination on opportunities (slideshare.net)
- Five Great Things About Procrastination (nuelblogs.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Procrastinating Cities (turbotax.intuit.com)
- Get To Work By Meeting Procrastination Head-On (fastcompany.com)
Technology over technique produces emotionless design.
– Daniel Mall
“He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow.”
- Are You Ready For Anything? Can Anyone Really Be Ready For Anything? (readyforanythingstore.wordpress.com)
Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.
“More men fail through lack of purpose than lack of talent. ”
“A person determined never to be wrong won’t likely accomplish much.”
- Wisdom vs Knowledge (naydanielle.wordpress.com)
- Discovering Wisdom Through Practice (metaphyzgirl.wordpress.com)
- 3. Proverbs 1:1-6 The Personality Of Wisdom part 3 v.2 (stevemidkiff.wordpress.com)
- James 3: Doing Wisdom (kingdomnewtestament.wordpress.com)
- Words of Wisdom (auntymoggsblog.wordpress.com)
- Whats the Point of Wisdom in Business Intelligence? (b-eye-network.com)
- Wisdom (joequatronejr.wordpress.com)
“Just having hope ain’t going to cut it. You’ve got to have hope, passion and skills. ”
“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? ”
- Rene Descartes on the Dependency of Man and the Independency of God (jdylanparker.wordpress.com)
- Descartes Knew More Than He Thought (wmbriggs.com)
- Descartes Got It Wrong (intermittentlyknownlife.wordpress.com)
Leaders and managers spend a lot of time and effort figuring out how to develop their people’s talent, shape their performance, and motivate them to improve.
But when was the last time you focused on yourself? Specifically, how’s your credibility? Does it need some attention? Here are 10 ways to boost your credibility with associates, customers, and everyone else within your sphere of influence.
- Your Sphere of Influence (thedustymuscle.wordpress.com)
- Telling Time (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- The Conscious Leader (consciousleaders.wordpress.com)
- The Conscious Leader (theconsciousleadershipconsultancy.com)
- What Is Networking? (ruralstops.blogspot.com)
- On Gilda and the unfairness of life (writteninc.blogspot.com)
“The one-l lama,
He’s a priest.
The two-l llama,
He’s a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn’t any
- An Awkward Song about Llamas (chrisjbradley.com)
- Llama Kisses (rollingbayfarm.com)
- What’s a herd of llamas worth? (thegazette.com)
“The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.”
- George Orwell (blahblablah.com)
- George Orwell’s 6 rules for writers (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Film: Newswire: New film version of George Orwell’s 1984 assigned to Ministry of Remakes (avclub.com)