“Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.”
No man was ever more than about nine meals away from crime or suicide.
–Eric Sevareid, journalist (1912-1992)
Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.
Truly, I love running. It’s who I am. It’s a part of me. Even if I can only run for 10 minutes, I feel whole and happy. And if everything else is falling to pieces, I go for a run, and I feel like things are going to be okay.
Johanna Olson, Olympic Marathon Trials runner who died of brain cancer at the age of 33
- Olympic Marathon Trials Runner Johanna Olson Dies of Brain Cancer(christostriathlon1.wordpress.com)
- Luther College’s Johanna Olson Looses Her Battle With Cancer(nextleveliowa.wordpress.com)
“It is well for the heart to be naive and the mind not to be.”
– Anatole France
“Anyone whose goal is ‘something higher’ must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo Fear of falling No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves.”
- Getting Dizzy: The Dangers Of Vertigo (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Digital Vertigo: How Today’s Online Social Revolution Is Dividing, Diminishing, and Disorienting Us (365.rsaconference.com)
How To Survive as My Aide—Or What Not To Do
—Don’t ever hesitate to ask me what to do if uncertain.
—Don’t ever sign my name.
—Never use your money on my behalf.
—Avoid “The General Wants” syndrome—unless I really do.
—Provide feedback but be tactful to those who ask—talks between you and me are private and confidential. Alma (my wife) has nothing to do with the office.
—Never keep anybody waiting on the phone. Call back.
—I like meetings generally uninterrupted. I ask a lot of questions. I like questions and challenges.
—I like to remain enormously accessible. I like to do things with people.
—I will develop ways of getting to know what’s happening.
—Don’t accept speaking engagements without my knowledge.
—Keep track of whom I have seen.
—I tend to get moody, preoccupied. I will snap but that clears the air.
—Be punctual, don’t waste my time.
—I prefer written information rather than oral.Writing tends to discipline.
—I like to do paperwork—and I do a lot.
—NEVER, NEVER permit illegal or stupid actions.
—No surprises.Bad news doesn’t get any better with time.
—If there is a problem brewing, I want to know of it early—heads up as soon as possible—I don’t like to be blindsided.
—Speak precisely—I often fudge for a purpose. Don’t over-interpret what I say.
—Don’t rush into decisions—make them timely and correct.
—I like excellent correspondence—no split infinitives.
- Colin Powell sings ‘Call Me Maybe’ (politico.com)
- Colin Powell Sings “Call Me Maybe” (buzzfeed.com)
- Colin Powell Speaks On Romney’s Foreign Policy Re: “I Can See Russia As A Threat” GAFFE (3chicspolitico.com)
- Colin Powell’s Advice To Mitt Romney: ‘Come On, Mitt. Think.’ (mediaite.com)
- Colin Powell Goes Rogue (Again), Disses Romney’s Foreign Policy and Supports Gay Marriage [Colin Powell] (jezebel.com)
- We’re Sure There’s a Reason Colin Powell Sang ‘Call Me Maybe’ on TV Today (nymag.com)
- Colin Powell: Romney Needs To Be More Mature And Realistic (alan.com)
- Colin Powell Comes Out in Support of Gay Marriage: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- A Man Is Punctual: The Importance of Being on Time (artofmanliness.com)
“Running is a lot like meditation. You get a sense of seeing your life and putting some order to it.”
~Christy Turlington Burns, Supermodel and founder, Every Mother Counts.
- Fab Ad: Christy Turlington for Chanel (fabsugar.com)
- Christy Turlington Slips Into a New Avon Scent (bellasugar.com)
- Christy Turlington Burns On The Defense After No Mother’s Day Campaign Backlash [Video] (inquisitr.com)
- Racked DC: Christy Turlington Breezes Through Town; Wedding Week; Buffalo Exchange; Worn Magazine Returns (dc.curbed.com)
- Christy Turlington Shows Off Her Ladylike Side in Elle France (fabsugar.com)
- Celebrity Style: Christy Turlington (fabsugar.com)
- Christy Turlington Burns Talks Women’s Empowerment with Feed the Future – YouTube (tajikistanfocus.wordpress.com)
- Christy Turlington’s Mother’s Day boycott draws criticism (upi.com)
- Celebrity Moms Boycott Mother’s Day (947thewave.radio.com)
“Only a kind person is able to judge another justly and to make allowances for his weaknesses. A kind eye, while recognizing defects, sees beyond them.”
—Lawrence G. Lovasik.
Technology over technique produces emotionless design.
– Daniel Mall
An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while the pessimist sees only the red spotlight… The truly wise person is colour-blind.
“The path of least resistance is the path of the loser. ”
H G Wells
“He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow.”
- Are You Ready For Anything? Can Anyone Really Be Ready For Anything? (readyforanythingstore.wordpress.com)
“One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life. ”
—Edward B Butler.
“Each man must reach his own verdict, by weighing all the relevant evidence. ”
“In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” –Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (1875-1965).
- Albert Schweitzer – Reverence for Life (reaberg.com)
- US finishes seventh in Albert Schweitzer basketball tournament (stripes.com)
- Albert Schweitzer on the “Sleeping Sickness of the Soul” (fullcatastropheliving.wordpress.com)
- World Nobel laureates in economic sciences (alihusnaen.wordpress.com)
“I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness. ”
- It’s not a cold, it’s just allergies! (mudpiebliss.wordpress.com)
- Tip of the Day: Fight Allergies at Night (dailysavings.allyou.com)
- Natural approach to Allergies (heritagebreedfarms.wordpress.com)
- Allergies (uw20sciencemediaandculture.wordpress.com)
- Overcoming Allergy & Sinus Pressure (phillyhealthwatch.com)
- Mild winter could mean early allergy season (cbc.ca)
- Thinking about food allergies (drdavidsmithson.com)
“I’m not going to let anybody come down at night like Nicodemus and whisper something in my ear that no one else can hear. That is not executive privilege it is poppycock.”
—Sam James Ervin Jr.
“We cannot put off living until we are ready. ”
Jose Ortega y Gasset.
“Pride defeats its own end, by bringing the man who seeks esteem and reverence into contempt. ”
- The worst sin? Pride. (lifelibertyandallthatjazz.wordpress.com)
- My Pride vs. My Dignity (independentmichaela.wordpress.com)
- Swollen Pride (whereisthebeat.wordpress.com)
- A reading from the Church Fathers; Don’t Make Excuses (gingerjar2.wordpress.com)
- March 2, 2012 – Just for Today (cmmacneil.wordpress.com)
“If a man urge me to tell wherefore I loved him, I feel it cannot be expressed but by answering: Because it was he, because it was myself. ”
—Michel de Montaigne.
- With Meself (beareroflight54448.wordpress.com)
- Quote #28 (ilikethesequotes.wordpress.com)
- Moments of Madness (notlostjustweird.com)
- Profile on: Michel de Montaigne, writer and the father of Modern Skepticism – Solange’s Posterous (griggsthenaturalist.wordpress.com)
“He who thinks by the inch and talks by the yard deserves to be kicked by the foot.”
“No one ever discovers the depths of his own loneliness. ”
- It’s Time to Acknowledge CEO Loneliness (budjohnsonvistage.wordpress.com)
- Loneliness of Morality (patospapa.wordpress.com)
- The loneliness of being (der-liebling.net)
- HIM – Killing loneliness (azrael-west.com)
- Loneliness more dangerous than smoking (nation.com.pk)