There is much we can learn from following. We all find ourselves in positions to follow both great and horrible leaders from time to time. It helps to stop and really pay attention to how we feel during the process.
Pay Attention to Emotions
As leaders, we lead and follow with much intensity. Because we care, the range of emotions is powerful. When we are deeply invested, the wins are that much sweeter. At the same time, disappointments and frustrations can run deep as well. Paying attention to the emotions we experience as followers can help us become more empathetic leaders.
A Lesson from the Mat
I have a yoga instructor who will have us hold a very intense pose, and then say, “Stop. Notice how that makes you feel.” And then, we will go on to a very relaxing pose, and then the same request, “Stop, notice how that makes you feel.” This is useful in teaching us to reflect on the sensations in our bodies and minds–and their causes.
Continue reading on Let’s Grow Leaders…
- Will You Lead or Will You Follow (practicebetterbusiness.wordpress.com)
- Why runners really need yoga (cnn.com)
- Your Emotions Don’t Define You (dorfmanhealing.com)
- Being a Good Follower (peacefulwife.com)
- Are There Any Followers Left? (wisewolftalking.com)