A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. -Confucius, philosopher and teacher (c. 551-478 BCE)
The greatest discovery of our generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be.
- William James (undergraduateangst.wordpress.com)
- William James on Walt Whitman: “He Is Aware Enough of Sin for a Swagger to Be Present in His Indifference Towards It” (biblioklept.org)
- William James on Religious Experience and Philosophy (footnotes2plato.com)
“Science moves with the spirit of an adventure characterized both by youthful arrogance and by the belief that the truth, once found, would be simple as well as pretty. ”
—James D Watson
“In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” –Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (1875-1965).
- Albert Schweitzer – Reverence for Life (reaberg.com)
- US finishes seventh in Albert Schweitzer basketball tournament (stripes.com)
- Albert Schweitzer on the “Sleeping Sickness of the Soul” (fullcatastropheliving.wordpress.com)
- World Nobel laureates in economic sciences (alihusnaen.wordpress.com)
“The way of the world is to make laws, but follow custom. ”
Michel De Montaigne
- Profile on: Michel de Montaigne, writer and the father of Modern Skepticism – Solange’s Posterous (griggsthenaturalist.wordpress.com)
- Quote #28 (ilikethesequotes.wordpress.com)
- Montainge and Nook Notes (nooknotesblog.wordpress.com)
- Bookshelf of the Week: A Montaigne-esque personal library (robaroundbooks.com)
“We cannot put off living until we are ready. ”
Jose Ortega y Gasset.